RE: Sqlldr versus inserts

From: <rajendra.pande_at_ubs.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:51:43 -0400

John

Questions that you should look at :

            How much of data massaging is done to the raw data - at this time once it is loaded via sqlldr

            What is the source of data. Is there any optimization possible in getting the source via say pipes or queues

In the end if there is a lot of sql that is involved then you are better off using sqlldr and then plsql.

If not then java should work fine.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of John Dunn Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 7:53 AM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Sqlldr versus inserts

We currently load large amounts of data into a table using sqlldr which is run from a unix script initiated from a java stored procedure.

The application designers want to eliminate the script and load the data directly using java and jdbc, which I presume will mean using insert statements.

Sound like a bad idea to me from a performance point of view, but am I correct? If not using sqllldr what oprions are there to read a flat file and inseet the data. Will external files give the same performance as sqlldr?

John

Please do not transmit orders or instructions regarding a UBS account by e-mail. The information provided in this e-mail or any attachments is not an official transaction confirmation or account statement. For your protection, do not include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords or other non-public information in your e-mail. Because the information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from disclosure, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer if you have received this communication in error. Thank you.

UBS Financial Services Inc.
UBS International Inc.