Sqlldr versus inserts

From: John Dunn <JDunn_at_sefas.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:52:43 -0000

We currently load large amounts of data into a table using sqlldr which is run from a unix script initiated from a java stored procedure. The application designers want to eliminate the script and load the data directly using java and jdbc, which I presume will mean using insert statements.

Sound like a bad idea to me from a performance point of view, but am I correct? If not using sqllldr what oprions are there to read a flat file and inseet the data. Will external files give the same performance as sqlldr?

John