Resize datafile not releasing space at OS level

From: <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:47:08 -0500

Hi,

We have an Oracle 10.2.0.1 database on RHAT4 test server and I resize the file from 100G to 30G and operation is successful and I can see in the dba_data_file it is showing now as 30G but on hard drive/filesystem it is still showing 100G. So I assumed OS may release space when other process needs it but it didn't happened and other process failed for space reasons and also I rebooted the server but still no effect. What can be the possible reasoning for this behavior and how to reduce the size at file system level.

Thanks
--Harvinder

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Mar 09 2007 - 13:47:08 CST