RE: More than 2 ASM Diskgroups in a RAC Enviornment with 2 Databases

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:07:46 -0500

Let me take a quick run at this. We have a bit of a language problem regarding the word "general." In science, a general theory must apply to all cases. In the vernacular about "best practices" and otherwise you will find the word "general" used in a way that means "the commonly found special case."

Here are a few things off the top of my head that are characteristics of the commonly found special case I hope Oracle refers to:

  1. The disks/disk arrays you have operate at the same speed.
  2. No database or process loads exist that you must protect from each other.
  3. The disks/disk arrays you have are uniform in need for ASM to provide or not provide additional redundancy.

These issues have little or nothing to do with size. There might also be reasons to have more disk groups simply to group them by some maximum size, but I find as things get huge you reach reasons to be a little more sophisticated in the disk group construction so I have not hit any size limits.

I believe the best practice described in this case is intended to give you a minimized initial construction cost and balance in load across the disk farm.

I posted something a bit longer a while ago that some folks thought was a useful summary of the cases, and if you want to consider things in depth beyond that I think Morle's stuff about Sane SAN is useful next step. If a simple flat profile is all you need, then SAME in the two described bits is a simple baseline to implement.

But please don't confuse balance with optimal.

mwf

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007146509X/

  _____

Now you can scan
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/gmail_com/nowyoucan/reading_pane/*h
ttp:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40566/*http:/uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>
emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Yahoo!
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/gmail_com/nowyoucan/reading_pane/*h
ttp:/us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40566/*http:/uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html>
Mail.