perl is a wonderful thing = Friday's worse than failure

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 17:04:58 +0000

And yes I know that you can do this in the language of choice.

One of the features of windows is that it is rather difficult to issue a ps
-ef and see the oracle password in the process list for any open sqlplus
sessions. Clearly a deficiency of windows that needs dealing with.

Fortunately the developers who developed an interface between two of our systems used by call centre weren't going to be foiled by little details like this. Nope, no sir. What's needed is a perl script that reads the selection made from one screen, calls sqlplus and inserts the details in the other system whilst echoing the sqlplus command in use to the clients web-browser complete with login information and a connection string in the form 'DESCRIPTON= ...... HOST=....PORT=..... SID= .....'. A solution borne of genius I'm sure you'll agree.

--

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

--