Re: 9.2.0.1 Install on HPUX Fails (SOLVED)

From: <JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:33:11 -0600

Some mess-up in the old ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory was causing it (probably caused by lil' ol' me). I renamed it (it'll go away soon anyway) and let OUI create another oraInventory. All is proceeding nicely now.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin (Texas) Independent School District 512.414.9715 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

 Same-Day Stump Grinding! Senior Discounts!

Jack Applewhite/CAC/AISD
03/08/2007 01:56 PM

oracle-l_at_freelists.org
cc
oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
Subject
9.2.0.1 Install on HPUX Fails

Installing 9.2.0.1 into a new ORACLE_HOME on an HPUX machine that already has 9.2.0.4 installed in another ORACLE_HOME and a database running from it. Want to patch the new 9.2.0.1 ORACLE_HOME up to 9.2.0.8 (which I've done on 3 other HPUX servers with databases OK).

Having a problem I've never encountered. Installation and linking are successful, I get the box that says go run root.sh in another window, which I do. When I come back to the "go run root.sh" window and click OK, it disappears, as does the whole OUI window. The new ORACLE_HOME is not registered in oraInventory.

No errors in the make.log.

The last line in the
ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/logs/installActions<DateAndTime>.log file is:

   Initializing installer save inventory WCCE

The ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/logs/installActions<DateAndTime>.err file contains just this:
Exception java.lang.NullPointerException occurred.. java.lang.NullPointerException

        <<no stack trace available>>

I can't find anything on MetaLink relating to this. Anyone have any idea what's happening and/or how to fix this? All my environment variables are set for the new ORACLE_HOME and I've tried this three times.

Thanks.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator