Re: 10g upgrade survey

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:04:02 +0000

On 3/5/07, Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_ora-600.net> wrote:

> I don't agree with the majority of respondents to the list who like to
> use the exp/imp method to upgrade their databases. Why, in the absence
> of real necessity, would one completely unload and reload their data,
> rather than just running the upgrade script?

I entirely agree, though you said it better. I'd also like to be really convinced that the exp/imp route also includes the necessary scripts to check for all the little things that might bite you - like characterset changes, changed and deprecated parameters etc. I'd also hazard a guess that people with multi-terabyte databases don't favour exp/imp! IMO dbua - at least in 9.2 and 10.2 (javen't seen any others) does a great job at ensuring you upgrade properly. exp/imp probably does the worst job.

I can sympathize though with people who combine several upgrades simultaneously - for me that's a risk assessment for the business, "yes you get lower outage, but the cost is support and troubleshooting post the upgrade: do you want to take the risk we might take longer determining any fault or not?"

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA