Re: Data Guard Apply lag

From: A. Coskan Gundogar <gundogar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:38:17 +0200

Do you have a delay for log transportation process or log apply process. If it is about transportation maybe this calculation would give you an idea.

if it is about the applying process try to calculate from the formula below and take action if you network is not satisfying for transportation process( *Note:241925.1*);

Using a formula that allows for 30% network overhead and the known redo rate, validate that your network bandwidth is sufficient to support the redo rate. For example if we know the redo rate is 500 K/sec, then the following calculation would be done:**

Required bandwidth
= ((Redo rate in bytes ps / .7) * 8) / 1,000,000 = bandwidth in Mbps

Thus, in this example a 10 Mbps network or a T3 network (44.736 Mbps ) should have plenty of bandwidth whereas a T1-DS1 network (1.544 Mbps) would not be sufficient for this redo rate. Also playing into this capacity is what else is using this link.

If it is about the delay for applying process then maybe you should try to parellize the applying process by clause below

"alter database recover managed standby database parallel X disconnect "

i think value of X was
max(X)=number_of_cpu*2

another option is Set DB_BLOCK_CHECKING=FALSE for Faster Redo Apply Rates

and another one Set PARALLEL_EXECUTION_MESSAGE_SIZE = 4096

also if you do not have async i/o increasing db_writer process will help you

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/manage_ps.htm#i1033033

On 3/5/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com> wrote:

> DELAY is the parameter I was talking about - here is the link and
> example from further down on the same page as the link you sent:
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96653/log_
> arch_dest_param.htm#77475
>
> LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_3='SERVICE=stby1 DELAY=240'
> LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_3=ENABLE

A. Coskan GUNDOGAR