Re: 10g upgrade survey

From: Janine Sisk <janine_at_furfly.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:40:48 -0800

On Mar 5, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

> I don't agree with the majority of respondents to the list who like
> to use the exp/imp method to upgrade their databases. Why, in the
> absence of real necessity, would one completely unload and reload
> their data, rather than just running the upgrade script?

I work in the software industry (not for Oracle) and in my experience, both as a developer and as a user, upgrades tend to be the most poorly tested area of a release. The testing usually isn't done until the last minute, there are many variables, and thus the testing is rarely as thorough as it could be. Considering the quality of some of what comes out of Oracle, I would not expect them to be any different in this regard.

Also, it seems logical to me to assume that an upgraded database is more likely to contain cruft left over from the previous version that's not really needed anymore but none of the developers wanted to be responsible for removing. Doing a fresh install and importing the data restricts this problem to my own data; at least I know that SYS, SYSTEM et al are as clean as possible.

Those are my reasons... I speak only for myself.

janine