RE: 10g upgrade survey

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:58:40 -0500

Just for the problems that you mention, I prefer to create a new database and import the data. I've had strange bugs crop up that, to me, just are not worth risking. I'd rather create a new db and import the data.

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

[] On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 1:33 PM
To: Oracle Discussion List; Cc:
Subject: Re: 10g upgrade survey

We almost always use option 3, for a variety of reasons, depending on the database in question:
- Have to pre-create the database in advance of a cut-over of a
Production DB to the new version.
- Want to take advantage of a new feature that would be difficult or
impossible to retrofit to an upgraded database.
- Moving a database from, say, 32bit Linux to 64bit Linux, and upgrading
at the same time.

We also had a problem after an upgrade of an HPUX database from to Right after the upgrade, our 3rd Party Financials app, accumulated about 60,000 views. After we dropped those nasty things, that DB's Data Dictionary was somehow damaged - did not shrink. Queries against DBA_Tables, DBA_Indexes, etc. took over a minute. Other DBs, even one where we drop and re-create 125,000 table and 180,000 indexes every week gave sub-second responses to the same queries. After pre-creating a from-scratch DB and importing the contents of the slow one, we got the same sub-second response.

Anyway, we prefer to pre-create and transfer data. Caveat - our largest databases are only around 100GB. With huge databases, moving data around isn't nearly so easy.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin (Texas) Independent School District 512.414.9715 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

Same-Day Stump Grinding! Senior Discounts!

"Dennis Williams" <> Sent by:

03/05/2007 12:09 PM

Please respond to

"Oracle Discussion List" <>

10g upgrade survey

If you've upgraded more than one database to 10g, please let me know what method you chose:

  1. dbua
  2. Manual upgrade
  3. Created a 10g database and migrated the data.

Either reply to the list or to me directly. Also please let me know why you chose the path you selected and if you had to do it again if you'd done it differently.

Dennis Williams