Re: Best Practice: pinning objects

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:24:54 -0600

  1. It is not so much an argument against pinning (afterall, we have objects that we require to be pinned), but rather an argument of method.
  2. A trigger must fire something, whether it be the pl/sql embedded within the body of the trigger, or a call to a store procedure. Given that we occasionally, change the list of objects to be pinned, that list (wherever it is sourced) must be managed. That is the meat of what I meant by "managing the trigger".
  3. Yes, we are thinking of putting the list of objects in a different table, but it is much easier to keep the list maintained externally (ie, a flat file). We are discussing the pros and cons in our group.

However, the main question remains; what are the Best Practices for pinning objects? Specifically, is there a good reason to avoid doing pinning objects directly after system startup?

--
Charles Schultz