Re: RAC ASM question

From: Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 07:45:02 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Salem. Is there any benchmark or result or best practices that says that don't create more than x number of DG.

  Sanjay

Ghassan Salem <salem.ghassan_at_gmail.com> wrote:   Sanjay,

   You can do it either way. The right way depends on your disks and disk layout. If you'll end up with the same disks in different diskgroups, I do not see the utility of using several ones. Having one DG allows for better spread of I/O. Having several DGs allows for more control on when to use redundancy (depending on app requirement, ...)    It's better to have a DG for FRA, as it's usage and redundancy req are different than 'normal' data. rgds

  On 3/3/07, Sanjay Mishra <smishra_97_at_yahoo.com> wrote: Hi

  I am building a RAC environment which will host 3 Application Database. I am planning to create 4 Oracle Home like one for each Database and 4th one for ASM. This way I can patch any one without affecting others.

  1. Now in order to ceate the Database in ASM, Can I create seperate Disk Group for each Application Database or I should create one big Disk Group.
  2. What are the advantage/disadvantage of creating multiple diskgroups.
  3. Is it good to create seperate Diskgrroup for each Redolog, Archivelog, Flashback and Data

  TIA
  Sanjay

  Need Mail bonding?

Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends.