RE: incremental backups

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:35:49 -0500

If the database is busy enough then incrementals do not necessarily produce backups significantly smaller than a full backup and if the database is small enough to full copy during the desired time frame then I would use full backups over incrementals. Recovery is generally simpler and quicker from full backups. How important is time to recover and restore use? Every minute out system is down cost thousands of dollars in over-time expense for making up the lost production. Recovery needs to be as fast as possible.

So like everything else in Oracle, it depends! It depends on priorities, time available, if the backup noticeable affects production, etc....