RE: create db, mount stages, sql.bsq, catalog.sql

From: Reidy, Ron <Ron.Reidy_at_arraybiopharma.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:27:14 -0700

Comments below ...

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:49 PM To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: create db, mount stages, sql.bsq, catalog.sql

Forwarded for Sean Hull - he is having some email (sending) problems.

Please reply to shull_at_iheavy.com

Hi All,

I know it's been a very long time since I've posted. Mostly I'm just lurking,
and reading these days.

I'm working on a presentation for Collaborate 2007. I'm illustrating a very
basica CREATE DATABASE, with only a few options. I want to illustrate the
state of the data dictionary when:

  1. startup nomount
  2. after we have run create database (sql.bsq does what?)
  3. after we have run catalog.sql

I've been digging around myself, and for instance at stage #1 v$session, and
v$parameter and so on are available. In face many v$ tables such as v$tablespace, and v$datafile are available, but return an error at this point
because the db isn't mounted. After stage #2 those v$ tables work properly.

[rr] Makes sense - there are no datafiles nor a data dictionary until
the DB is created.

sql.bsq is described here:
http://safari.oreilly.com/1565924509/ch04-23413

Does anyone know of a good discussion of this, or thorough documentation on it.
I would like to cover it a little better than my own investigations might.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

--

Sean Hull, Founder Snr Consultant       Heavyweight Internet Group
http://www.iheavy.com <http://www.iheavy.com/>

Subs to Open Insights:     http://www.iheavy.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1
Linkedin Profile:          http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/687/638
BOOK Oracle & Open Source: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleopen/
"Get Out of the Tech Hex": http://www.changethis.com/27.04.TechHex
"MySQL for OracleDBA":
http://dbazine.com/ofinterest/oi-articles/hull1/

sender  of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us by