Re: decision to use or not use an rman catalog?

From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:56:25 -0800 (PST)

BCV's can be sent to tape by mounting them on a second server. rman can also backup a bcv copy as cold backup in mount mode. there is a complete procedure that will allow you to take backup from the BCV rather than the primary node to reduce load on primary but for that purpose you definitely want to have an rman catalog. ----- Original Message ---- From: Mike Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu> To: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:50:59 PM Subject: RE: decision to use or not use an rman catalog? BCV copies can still be sent off to tape, can’t they? Main difference that I would see is that you would then be using the tape management software’s retention policies, instead of RMAN’s. From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:36 PM To: ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net; niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com; jkstill_at_gmail.com; oracle-l Subject: RE: decision to use or not use an rman catalog? I'd say that's not a very good backup plan. BCV splits are great for offloading the I/O of full backups if your production system can't handle it, and for making test/dev copies of the database, but they don't do you much good if your disk array crashes or your DC is lost. Better to have tapes offsite. We use both BCV copies and rman here - they serve different purposes. From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net before I came here I was on large projects and they used hardware for the backups. They were done with BCV copies and rman was not used. how common is that? Is that a better solution than rman? I would think it would get fairly expensive. Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message or attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.