Re: OCP DBA question?

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:44:26 -0600

Denham,

The story I heard was that some people took the OCP exam and then bragged that they had never logged into Oracle. This embarrassed some people at Oracle. To ensure this, the requirement to take a class from Oracle Education was added, and each instructor is required to ensure that each student actually gets onto the computer. So my understanding that your desire to skip this requirement may be difficult to convince a large institution.

You must decide how valuable the OCP would be to your career. Certifications were all the fad back in the dot-com era when there was an acute shortage of DBAs and people with slight experience were trying to pass themselves off as a seasoned professional. I don't think a certification hurts, but the value is in the eye of the person who will be hiring you.

I think any Oracle professional should make it a task to continually learn.

Rumor has it that Oracle may announce 11g in April. One idea would be to relax now, rest, then learn as much about 11g as soon as possible, downloading it, reading the manuals, buying any new books when they are published. My opinion is that a prospective employer would be more impressed with your experience with the latest version than your certification in the previous release.

That is my opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.

Dennis Williams