RE: failover and huge data size in dataguard env

From: Peter McLarty <p.mclarty_at_cqu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:44:25 +1000

Hi Ujang
The only way to resolve this is to rebuild your primary You need to clone your now primary(old standby) to the old primary location as standby and then allow it to update itself. It is a pain but that is how it is in 9.x

In order of speed to do such a thing
1) Mirrored snapshots from SAN, likely only need small amount of redo to bring up to date

2)     RMAN Dupliaction as standby
3)     Bulid it from scratch using a cold backup

Interestingly in the 10.2 with Flashback there is a new possiblity Flashback Database removes the need to re-create the primary database after a failover.
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14239/crea te_ps.htm#i63561

It might eventually be a good reason to upgrade your to 10.2 or later sometime down the track

Cheers

--

Peter McLarty
Database Administrator

Mobile: +61 4 0209 4238

From: Ujang Jaenudin [mailto:ujang.jaenudin_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, 28 February 2007 02:03 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: failover and huge data size in dataguard env

folks,

quote from oracle docs server.920/a96653/role_management.htm#1023666

"As a result of the failover operation, the original primary database can no longer participate in the Data Guard configuration, and all other standby databases are now receiving and applying redo data from the new primary database."

the above statement, because of RESETLOGS issue when failover data guard environment, which restart the SCN number back to 1. see
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/osre cov009.htm

does anyone have experience how to participating the original primary db which has been crashed prior to failover to the new data guard configuration?
I think about how to make SCN in the crashed original primary db's datafile to SCN 1, so the synchronization will match.

imagine, when we have TB in size, should we re-create standby database for participating in the new data guard configuration?

regards
Ujang
dba_at_indonesia

--