Re: Oracle & PHP

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_vmsinfo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:35:49 -0500

Richard J. Goulet wrote:
> Folks, I'm fishing for an answer to a PHP problem that I can't seem
> to find anywhere. May have posted this once before so I'll apologize
> if this is a dup. The problem is with PHP 5.1.4 and Oracle's 10g
> client or instant client for that matter. When you call the OCILogon
> function you always get an OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed error. I've toyed
> around with every environment variable that there is & still can't
> keep this little nightmare from popping up. OTS is of no help as
> "they don't support PHP". Anybody got a suggestion/solution/"dumb
> idea" on how to fix this???

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've ran into this before. Oracle10R2 has strengthened
protection of the home directory. After the patchset 1 (10.2.0.2) there is a script called changeperm.sh
in $ORACLE_HOME/install that must be run to fix the problem. Essentially, it changes protection for $ORACLE_HOME, $ORACLE_HOME/lib, $ORACLE_HOME/network, $ORACLE_HOME/nls and $ORACLE_HOME/oracore to make the files world readable. One little "chmod -R 755" on those directories should do the trick.

--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA