LDAP used for database connect string resolution: best practices

From: Mary Elizabeth McNeely <mary_mcneely_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:00:08 -0800 (PST)

Good afternoon, all,

I'd like to learn how others in the field are using Oracle's OID/LDAP implementation to resolve database connect strings:

What LDAP server do you use in the background and how is that working for you? What version?

Do you have more than one OID server? If so, do you have them configured to automatically replicate the entries to each other? Any gotchas with that?

How have you chosen to implement failover between the two? Primary/secondary entries in a sqlnet.ora? Single entry in sqlnet.ora, and an IP address with round-robin DNS? Other? How has it worked for you?

How many non-OID databases do you have? What versions? At what level of transactional/resolution load do you find you need a secondary OID server?

Any words of wisdom or things you'd wished you'd known sooner?

If you will reply to me privately, I'd be glad to post a follow-up message with a summary of the responses received.

Thanks much - woo hoo!, my first oracle-l post! - Mary Elizabeth McNeely