Re: Long startup time for Toad

From: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:14:19 -0500

Toad is a big application. Most likely there has been a recent change in your windows environment that has consumed the free RAM that Toad needs to start fast. Less likely, but also very possible, is that some part of your Toad/Oracle environment is coming off a suddenly slow portion of the network.

On 2/26/07, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote:

> I believe that it just reads that list from tnsnames.ora, and that
> shouldn't really be any kind of noticable delay (unless it is a
> *SERIOUSLY* long list).
>
> That version of Toad is a bit old (aren't they on 9.x?), perhaps
> upgrading might fix things?
>
> Don.
>
> On 2/26/07, Schauss, Peter <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com> wrote:
> > My appologies if this is too far off topic. Toad is my primary tool for
> > managing my Oracle databases.
> >
> > My version of Toad (7.3.0.0 running on Windows XP Professional )has
> > lately been taking several minutes from the time that I double click on
> > the desktop icon to the time that it prompts me to connect to a
> > database.
> >
> > I am not certain that this is related, but the list of databases that it
> > shows in the dialog box for connection contains several which I used
> > previously but now do not exist. For convenience, and perhaps an
> > improvement in startup time, I would like to delete the superfluous
> > databases from this list.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peter Schauss