Re: How to trace a Windows session

From: Anurag Varma <avoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:39:02 -0500

On 2/26/07, William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to turn tracing on for another users session in order to
> track down some difficulties. The session is coming from a web
> application which will allow updates to data within the database. I can
> see the users session and the osuser displayed in the v$session view is
> NETWORK?SERVICE. I turn on tracing for this session using
> dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session, the user proceeds, receives an
> ORA-00942 but no trace file appears. Quite understand what is going on
> and am hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Wagman
> Univ. of California at Davis
> IET Campus Data Center
> wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
> (530) 754-6208

It could be either that you are tracing the wrong session or dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session
is not working in your case. I've heard reports that it does not work when a session is active.

Try oradebug, I use it quite frequently.

Pete has a good writeup on various ways to set trace:

http://www.petefinnigan.com/ramblings/how_to_set_trace.htm

--
Anurag Varma