Re: log writer tuning

From: Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:46:51 +0530

Have you thought about raw volumes? i didn't see any suggestions for that, so if i am repeating, my apologies.

redologs on raw is really what you should have. Not sure what RAID levels you have at your disposal, but if you can do RAID 1+0 or 0+1 (don't want start another RAID war here!). if you don't have that luxury, RAID 5 is acceptable as long as you have more disks and plan it correctly. of course, you should move the redologs away from the datafiles. move away from filesystems!

if you are using ASM, i guess there is bit more involved there.

What you really need is more spindles to do your writes. how you stripe them, blah blah is another huge discussion. try raw, will help.

talking of writes, what is your redo size? you can look at that in your AWR or Statspack. maybe some jazzy GUI tool will also help.

find the size of redo per second. that will give you a figure (average) about the size of your writes. Then, (re)size your log buffer in that range and then start measuring again. what you should watch out for is redo bursts and sustained redo rates.

a lot depends on the rate of redo generation. so, if you have some good idea about the application, how often it commits, etc. that will *really* help.

regards
anand