RE: log writer tuning

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:23:03 -0600

Another comment worth making: when <log file sync> is a dominant response time contributor, it can be because of CPU starvation as well. (By "CPU starvation", I mean too much CPU workload for the CPU capacity you have. ...Such as what happens when several CPU-intensive queries run concurrently.)

A <log file sync> is basically the time between the committing process's posting a message to LGWR and then getting the response back. In between those two events, these things have to happen:

  1. LGWR has to be scheduled and begin executing its code path,
  2. ...which of course includes the flush of the buffer.
  3. Then the committing process has to be scheduled and returned to its code path, where it can issue an OS timer call to see how long the <log file sync> event took.

Most people who see <log file sync> automatically jump to the conclusion that the problem is B. ...It's always disk for some people, even when it's really not. But on a system that's CPU starved, A and C can be the dominant time consumers. Step A is also a dominant time consumer on systems where people (DO NOT DO THIS!!!) renice their LGWR process to have a diminished slot in the OS scheduler's pecking order.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
Nullius in verba