RE: log writer tuning

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:35:06 -0500

Switch related "log file sync" could be driven by competition for i/o by ARCH. That can be cured by alternating the online logs on areas of the disk farm that are not in competition with each other for i/o. (If you're not archiving, this is not an issue. If you have a similar test box you can switch to noarchivelog mode and run a load test, then you can see if this is the problem pretty easily.)

If shrinking the log_buffer size reduces "log file sync" waits then you just slowed your system down, but that is quite unlikely unless you have commits larger than one-third the buffer size after you shrink it. Since you have many, many small commits that is unlikely to be the case.

Having the log buffer bigger than it needs to be just steals memory you could be devoting to something else, so if you're memory rich it doesn't hurt much. Having the log buffer too small will hurt, especially if you have some otherwise unmolested large commits, but the size that is "too small" is a bit difficult to measure and varies by circumstance in any case. So usually I make it big enough to remove it from consideration without wasting too much.

Moving the log files around only helps if there is some possibility of avoiding resource contention all the way down to the spinning rust. Whether that is possible depends on how your disk farm is configured.