Re: log writer tuning

From: Remigiusz Soko?owski <rems_at_wp-sa.pl>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:10:28 +0100

Kerber, Andrew wrote:
> Definitely move the redo logs. How often are you doing log switches?
> If they database is doing them more often than every 15-30 minutes, then
> you might want to increase the size of the redo logs.
>
> Andrew W. Kerber
> Oracle DBA
> UMB

Log switches are usually ~7 min. during standard work - and You are right - our needles are highest at switch time. Could anybody explain me what are technical reasons to move to separate mount point (assuming that for all file systems we use the same storage) ? We have thought about it and in general it seems that it "depends" - separate filesystem will divide traffic on lower number of disks, so where lies profit? Is it assumption that traffic on log filesystem will be lower than on datafiles or something else?

Thanks
Remigiusz

--
Remigiusz Sokolowski <rems_at_wp-sa.pl>