Re: CIO on AIX

From: Andrey Goryunov <goryunov_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:40:23 +1100

After recognising that filesystemio_options parameter is corrupted (it showed asuncche_size value instead of asynch) even after the database was rebounced, I changed it to asynch dynamically and trussed CKPT process.

There are calls for open() subroutine but they are with DSYNC flag:

open("/<...>/system01.dbf", O_RDWR|O_DSYNC|O_LARGEFILE) = 13
open("/<...>/tools01.dbf", O_RDWR|O_DSYNC|O_LARGEFILE) = 17
open("/<...>/users01.dbf", O_RDWR|O_DSYNC|O_LARGEFILE) = 16

And all that for file system mounted with CIO option.

Looks like file system mounted with CIO
without changed database parameter might worsen database performance.

Regards,
Andrey Goryunov

On 21/02/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com> wrote:

> Not positive on this, but I think it's because in 9i Oracle doesn't
> issue the O_CIO flag with its file open calls, so it relies on the
> filesystem's default mount options.

Sincerely,
Andrey Goryunov.