Re: restore datafile to standby database

From: Ujang Jaenudin <ujang.jaenudin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:07:22 +0700

On 2/20/07, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> nologging issue and raw devices have nothing to do with each other.
>
> If you are asking for raw devices - Oracle will restore datafile
> directly on your raw device providing you renamed it (SET NEW NAME in
> RMAN before restore and recovery or ALTER DATABASE in SQL*Plus). It's
> common practice to use soft links to raw devices - this way you can
> have the same path on standby.

you mean oracle will be replaced the raw by new file through RMAN? I asking this for sure, and how to check? from alert log? or where?

By the way, there is one flaw with your implementation. Since your
> primary is on FS - it's easy to add new datafile without a single
> thought about standby.

ya i put standby_file_management=MANUAL, so whatever changes to the db structur, i have to re-execute command for standby to match with raw.

If on standby you don't create respective raw
> device - it will stuck. If you have raw devices on both primary and
> standby - there are less chances that you forget raw device on standby
> but still.

you mean can I put standby_file_management=AUTO? and how about db structure changes?
i think at least the raw on standby should be configured same as primary....

In my experience, opposite setup works much better - raw devices on
> primary and filesystem on standby.

can use standby_file_management=AUTO and how about changes with db structure?

regards
Ujang
dba_at_indonesia