Re: AIX GPFS to Raw Devices

From: Fuad Arshad <fuadar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:46:13 -0800 (PST)

We did a similar move but the opposite direction using rman. it woked beautifully. i did do test my back out plan but moving the datafiles back to raw and it worked too. this was a non rac instance and i dont think that will matter just use the datafilecopy of rman and then alter database datafile to rename the datafiles in the database. ----- Original Message ---- From: DIANNA GIBBS <DIANNA.GIBBS@childrens.com> To: DIANNA GIBBS <DIANNA.GIBBS@childrens.com>; oracle-l@freelists.org Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:34:19 AM Subject: AIX GPFS to Raw Devices Our O/S team is looking to move our file system from current GPFS 2.3 to a file system of Raw Devices. AIX 5.2 and Oracle 9206. We have disabled RAC and are in the process of relinking the libraries with RAC off, although once we migrate to 10g, we will enable RAC again. Is this O/S file system move doable and what are some of my concerns from the Oracle standpoint? What should we be aware of? Do I have to export/import database or can we move files at O/S level? Are there any best practice papers for this? I have not used Raw Devices w/oracle...are there papers for running Oracle on Raw Devices? I've found no information on Metalink, but I have opened an SR. Any thoughts, comments appreciated. Thanks. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l