RE: CIO on AIX

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:11:21 -0700

I am running 10.2.0.2 on AIX 5.3 and we do not have the datafile filesystem mounted with the cio option since it is not required with 10g (I believe it *is* required for 9i), but we do have filesystemio_options=setall as you can see below:

/opt/oracle ->oslevel -r

5300-03

/opt/oracle ->mount|grep oradat

         /dev/bprdoradat /baanprd/oradat jfs2 Nov 11 16:21 rw,log=/dev/loglv00

                                                                 ^^^
                                                                  No CIO
mount option

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> show parameter filesystem

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
---------------------------
filesystemio_options                 string      setall

Here you can see that the files are opened with the CIO flag:

#lsof +fg /baanprd/oradat
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE FILE-FLAG DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
oracle 434222 oracle 16u VREG R,W,CIO,DSYN,LG;CX 39,1 6701056 866 /baanprd/oradat (/dev/bprdoradat) oracle 434222 oracle 17u VREG R,W,CIO,DSYN,LG;CX 39,1 6701056 867 /baanprd/oradat (/dev/bprdoradat) oracle 442384 oracle 15u VREG R,W,CIO,DSYN,LG;CX 39,1 1174413312 875 /baanprd/oradat (/dev/bprdoradat)

                                             ^^^

I searched google and the IBM AIX Information Center for "0x80" and could not find any mention of an 0x80 flag indicating CIO as Mr. VanKoll stated at the link you provided, so I'm not sure of the validity of that assertion and wouldn't trust it since everything else I've ever read, and what I've seen on my own - as you can see above - is that if CIO is being used, you will see a "CIO" flag, not 0x80.

You can also see the "cio" flag with the mount command if a filesystem is mounted with it, as is the case for our redolog filesystem:

/opt/oracle ->mount|grep oralog

         /dev/bprdoralog /baanprd/oralog jfs2 Nov 11 16:21 rw,cio,log=/dev/loglv00

                                                                   ^
                                                                  ^^^

Also, keep in mind you need to use the chfs command to make the cio option stick after a reboot, otherwise it will go away when the system is rebooted if you just turn it on with the mount command.

So, in conclusion - do this:

alter system set filesystemio_options=setall

(note - this is a dynamic parameter, but I'm not sure if Oracle will automatically reopen the files with the CIO flag or if you have to restart the instance to actually make the CIO flag effective)

mount -o cio /your/filesystem (not sure on the exact syntax here - I'm not a Unix admin)

chfs -a options=cio /your/filesystem

Regards,
Brandon Allen

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andrey Goryunov

Hi All,
we have Oracle 9.2.0.6 <http://9.2.0.6/> 64-bit database on AIX 5300-03 64 bit.

Does anybody know how definitely define if CIO is used or not? And what setting and mount options should be used?

Regards,
Andrey Goryunov