Re: restore datafile to standby database

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:43:29 -0500

nologging issue and raw devices have nothing to do with each other.

If you are asking for raw devices - Oracle will restore datafile directly on your raw device providing you renamed it (SET NEW NAME in RMAN before restore and recovery or ALTER DATABASE in SQL*Plus). It's common practice to use soft links to raw devices - this way you can have the same path on standby.

By the way, there is one flaw with your implementation. Since your primary is on FS - it's easy to add new datafile without a single thought about standby. If on standby you don't create respective raw device - it will stuck. If you have raw devices on both primary and standby - there are less chances that you forget raw device on standby but still.
In my experience, opposite setup works much better - raw devices on primary and filesystem on standby.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

http://www.oracloid.com