Re: underscore in db name

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:15:29 +0000

Looks like a bug to me, given that the documentation states

The following characters are valid in a database name: alphanumeric characters, underscore (_), number sign (#), and dollar sign ($). No other characters are valid

Of course Oracle might choose to call it a doc bug :(. I was a bit surprised actually - I thought you might have fallen foul of a similar problem to one that I used to have, that the valid characters for an oracle DOMAIN_NAME are not the same as the valid characters for a DNS domain (which is great given that all the oracle tools assume that your dns domain is the one you should use for your database).

cheers

Niall

On 2/19/07, Johan Eriksson <valpis_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I created a new db with dbca (RH4 64bit oracle 10.2.0.3) and named it
> stage_ms, but when checking the installationsscripts generated where
> was a file called stagems.sh containing:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/admin/stage_ms/adump
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/admin/stage_ms/bdump
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/admin/stage_ms/cdump
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/admin/stage_ms/dpdump
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/admin/stage_ms/pfile
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/admin/stage_ms/udump
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/flash_recovery_area
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/cfgtoollogs/dbca/stage_ms
> mkdir -p /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/dbs
> mkdir -p /oradata1/stage_ms
> ORACLE_SID=stagems; export ORACLE_SID
> echo You should Add this entry in the /etc/oratab:
> stagems:/opt/oracle/product/10.2.0:Y
> /opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin/sqlplus /nolog
> @/opt/oracle/admin/stage_ms/scripts/stagems.sql
>
> creating the directories was made correctly but the SID gets stagems.
> This wouldn't had been any problem but since I already had a db named
> that it became problems...
>
> Anyone seen this before? Is there a known problem with underscore in
> db name I am not aware of?
>
> /Johan

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA