Re: Getting the Current Timezone

From: John Darrah <darrah.john_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:47:48 -0700

Can you refine your question? Do you want a function that returns the timezone set at the database or are you looking for a function that returns the timezone for a given location? For the first, you can issue "select DBTIMEZONE from dual;". The second would be difficult to create. What would you use as your key? If you use capital city, there are 13 states that would potentially return the wrong answer to the user. Probably the only semi reliable thing would be long / lat coordinates but even that would return the wrong answer if some municipality decides they want to be on EST instead of CST after you created your location to timezone map.