RE: Oracle Best Practices for SAP

From: Rich Holland [oramail] <oramail_at_guidancetech.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:09:29 -0500

Dick Goulet wrote:

> No your not that bad, worse.

I'm worse? You lost me....

> I'm in the middle of trying to straighten up the OraInventory on a number
> of servers that need patches, but since the inventory is soo fouled up we
> can't. And the folks at SAP are no help either. Their recommendation,
> buy a new server & migrate over.

How'd your inventory get fouled up? The only time I've had problems with that is with multiple installations trying to write to the same inventory file (because the /etc/ora<whatever> file wasn't set up right.... that was back in the 8.1 days though.

I've never been able to clean up fouled OraInventorys... isn't Oracle's recommendation to re-install if the inventory is hosed? You'd have some downtime, but you should be able to remove the oracle installation and re-install the software, then restore your initSID.ora file & come back up using the existing data files with a nice clean inventory -- no additional hardware required unless you need it to minimize the outage.

--
Rich Holland
Guidance Technologies, Inc.