Res: Oracle RAC ON Linux vs AIX

From: Antonio Belloni <toni_belloni_at_yahoo.com.br>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:04:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi Fuad,

I've installed RAC on AIX and Linux.

I had few problems with both of them, and most of the problems were misleading configuration (absence of time protocol, ssh user equivalence, permission on the shared disks).

But I think that installing over AIX was easier than Linux.

On AIX, since version 10.1 you don't need HACMP to install RAC. Oracle provide all the necessary clusterware. If you are installing Oracle Standard edition, you can't use GPFS and you have to install over ASM and raw devices. It is a best practice to have all the firmware and maintenance levels in their lastest versions.

The problem with Linux is gathering all the necessary packages and libraries and their pre-requisites. Once you solve all the problems regarding the OS, the RAC installation processe goes smoothly.

Regards,
Antonio Belloni