Oracle on Solaris x86

From: Adi Alurkar <aalurkar_at_linkedin.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 06:51:49 -0800

We are currently evaluating upgrade options to support the growth and performance requirements for our Oracle install. We currently run Oracle on Solaris SPARC and are seriously considering migrating to Oracle on Solaris x86. I would like to get candid feedback from folks who have performed similar migrations and their experience about the following:

The migration process, tools and techniques used and gotcha's. The post migration support from Oracle on Solaris x86. As per official statements and looking at Oracle's site it seems like patches, bug fixes etc. for Solaris x86 are delayed and are released weeks and in some cases months after the linux/Solaris SPARC ports. How much of a concern did this pose in your decision making process to move to Oracle on Solaris x86.
I have read in some places that Oracle on Solaris x86 is 32-bit only, is this really the case?

We really want to know the "good", the "bad" and very certainly the "ugly" and if you are not comfortable posting the ugly stuff on the record feel free to send to directly via a private note. Appreciate all the assistance.

---
Adi Alurkar
aalurkar_at_linkedin.com