Re: ASM normal redundancy vs external redundancy

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:45:23 +0000

When choosing redundancy for ASM I'd have said that performance was the last thing that you'd want on the list of considerations. External redundancy implies that you are doing the data protection outside of the database - usually on a SAN/NAS with it's own redundant disks. ASM redundancy implies, at least to me, that your hardware is not in and of itself redundant - JBOD say - and so you are using ASM instead of a non-oracle solution. If your test tablespaces are actually on the same physical hardware then of course the use of normal redundancy implies more writes to the disks and therefore likely worse performance, on the other hand if actually you need to do that work skipping it for the sake of performance is a bit silly really.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA