Re: RMAN Performance Maladies

From: Naqi Mirza <naqimirza_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:58:47 -0800 (PST)

This is true (RAID5:READS), the strange thing , though, is there is also a reporting server - which is not an entire clone of this database - but pretty close to it.
If users are asked to disconnect from the reporting server (basically no load) and a test backup is performed via rman - the throughput achieved is 50mb/s. The storage (that houses the database) is configured in the same manner, also uses RAID5. The backup is to the same tape drives. I understand the significance of a number like 666, but whats up with 50.
Is it possible, though, when a large number of disks (100+) are part of a RAID5
configuration for the controllers involved to become bound with i/o requests?

Sorry , for the slight hijack of your thread Michael.