Re: Extract information from archived log files

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:37:50 -0600

Toni,

I haven't tried exactly what you are pursuing. We'll leave the "why" alone for the moment and assume your intentions are honorable. ;-) However, if you will move that archived log to a location that another database can read it, you will quickly understand the true magnitude of your task. See, LogMiner does a lot of interpretation for you. Columns, datatypes, data, etc. When you start reading the log from another database, even one that is a clone of your current database, LogMiner doesn't have the exact same Oracle dictionary to work from so everything you see is a bunch of hex numbers that you must figure out the interpretation for. If you're going to read the log file with a Java program you'll have the same task. Plus, trying this will help you decode the structure of the log.

    In my case, I was reluctant to use LogMiner on a production database, so I moved the logs over to a test database that was a clone of the production database. That is my excuse and that was how I discovered that life wasn't simple.

Good luck, don't expect me to visit you in jail ;-) Dennis Williams