Re: using ifile in the tnsnames.ora file

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:51:58 +0000

On 2/8/07, Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com> wrote:

> Do you use an IFILE parameter in a network configuration file (tnsnames.ora,
> sqlnet.ora, other) to consolidate entries in a central location? I guess
> it's an obsolete practice and I should stop.
>
> I've been using IFILE parametes in the tnsnames.ora file for as long as I've
> been using Oracle. Recently however, when creating database links, I noticed
> that the database link was using an alias that is coming from an "ifile" in
> the tnsnames.ora, even though SQL*Plus on the server could use that entry.
> I've never had problems using an IFILE in the tnsnames.ora except the one I
> recently encountered with database links.
>
> Imagine my surprise when I saw this on Tom Kyte's website:
>
> http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:489021635775
>
> Quoter: "IFILE is not supported for
> tnsnames/listener/sqlnet/protocol.ora files."

Interesting, but I think wrong, certainly the E-Business Suite - including according to the notes the just released version 12 - uses ifiles. Now I know that the support arrangements for ebs are a little different, but I find it hard to believe that particular statement in the light of the way ebs works.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA