RE: Statspack setup for 2nd RAC instance ?...basic Qs

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:49:31 -0700

Vivek,

I'd continue to recommend the settings of "spparms.sql" for busy applications.  Yes, the definition of "busy" is completely subjective.  For "quiet" or low-intensity environments in terms of resource utilization, I'd recommend leaving the thresholds at their default and changing only the two following things:

exec statspack.modify_statspack_parameter( -               i_snap_level => 7, -
            i_seg_itl_waits_th => 1)

The default SNAP_LEVEL of 5 does not capture V$SQL_PLAN (captured by level 6 and above) nor V$SEGSTAT (captured by level 7), both of which are really really useful.  Lowering the threshold for "ITL waits" from the default value (forget what it is) to 1 is sensible mainly because ITL waits are so difficult to diagnose yet so easy to fix (i.e. increase INITRANS), so I don't see the point of filtering out any of them.

Watch out when setting SNAP_LEVEL to 6 or 7 in 9.2.0.5 -- there is a bug on queries on V$SQL_PLAN that is easily detected by doing a "select count(*)" on that view (i.e. query hangs indefinitely, as does STATSPACK.SNAP when it queries the view).  So, before changing SNAP_LEVEL on that version, query V$SQL_PLAN first...

Thanks!

-Tim

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 01:47:00 +0530, VIVEK_SHARMA wrote
> Thanks Tim as always for the support & explanation in such simple language.
>
> It worked. I simply executed “exec statspac.snap” from the 2nd instance & the 2nd started appearing thereafter in the sprepins.sql Output

> Would you still recommend the following parameters (as picked up from your site) for RAC with 10gR2 & advised by Barbara?

> exec statspack.modify_statspack_parameter( -

>          i_snap_level => 7, -
>          i_executions_th => 1000, -
>          i_parse_calls_th => 1000, -
>          i_disk_reads_th => 10000, -
>          i_buffer_gets_th => 100000, -
>          i_sharable_mem_th => 1048576, -
>          i_version_count_th => 20, -
>       i_seg_itl_waits_th => 1)
>
> NOTE – We aim to collect Statspack for Benchmark Runs on a Hybrid Banking Application product

> Cheers

Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc.

website = http://www.evdbt.com
email   = tim_at_evdbt.com
mobile  = +1-303-885-4526
fax     = +1-303-484-3608