RMAN recovery question...

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:41:22 -0600

We've got a large database moving to new hardware. It's currently being backed up with 12 tape drives and with the new equipment they want to restore with 24.
Oracle 9.2 and Netbackup 5.1.
Also they want to use the original Netbackup catalog as it's so big.

I'm not big on RMAN but I didn't think this would an issue. Then someone mentioned there might be a limit on the Veritas license for Netbackup.
Anyone know where we can verify this license issue? No one here has offered anything.

    TIA
    Larry

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Syed Jaffar Hussain Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:33 AM To: don_at_seiler.us
Cc: Niall Litchfield; jkstill_at_gmail.com; DIANNA.GIBBS_at_childrens.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us Subject: Re: RMAN recovery question...

Hi,

According to OracleR2 documentation:

6.2.1.2 Re-Creation of Temporary Tablespaces in Whole Database Restore and Recovery

After restore and recovery of a whole database, when the database is opened, any missing temporary tablespaces recorded in the control file version of the RMAN repository are re-created with their previous creation size, AUTOEXTEND and MAXSIZE attributes.

Note:

Only temporary tablespaces that are missing are re-created. If a tempfile is still present at the location recorded in the RMAN repository but has an invalid header, then RMAN does not re-create the file.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/recov0 02.htm#BRBSC03607

Regards,

Jaffar

On 1/30/07, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us> wrote:

        I am running 10.2 (always have been). I'll try this again without

        pre-deleting them.

        Don

	On 1/29/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. Fixed, I believe, in 10.2
>

> On 1/29/07, Don Seiler < don_at_seiler.us <mailto:don_at_seiler.us>
> wrote:
> >
> > For some reason I have to manually delete the old tempfiles
before
> > RMAN is able to restore them from backup. I could never
understand
> > why. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
Best Regards,
Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE
8i,9i & 10g OCP DBA

http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#hussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."
intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be
legally privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.

of it from your computer system.

Thank you.