RE: 64-bit RDBMS server question

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:55:55 -0500

No, I cannot think of any real impact this would have. How would the app even know if the database it's connected to is 64-bit or 32-bit. I think the vendor is being ridiculous...but that's just me...;-)

--

Mark J. Bobak

Senior Oracle Architect

ProQuest Information & Learning

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which shouldn't be done at all. -Peter F. Drucker, 1909-2005

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mike Schmitt Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 11:34 AM To: 'oracle-l'
Subject: 64-bit RDBMS server question

Hi All,

We have setup a 64-bit Linux server with 64-bit Oracle 10g binaries. The vendor has now come back and said they do not support the database running as 64-bit, even though there are no application components that run on the database server. Are there any differences in datatypes between 64-bit and 32-bit database software? My understanding is that they are identical to the client. Can you think of any problems that 32-bit client software, or jdbc connections would have with connecting to a 64-bit database on a different server?

Thanks,

Mike

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Feb 02 2007 - 10:55:55 CST