Re: Patching databases - time estimates

From: S. Anthony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:48:44 -0000 (GMT)

On Thu, February 1, 2007 18:17, Dennis Williams said:
> Tony,
>
> The problem with asking multiple questions is that one may be
> overlooked ;-)

I think you are right :)

> Patch times vary a lot depending on hardware and the such. The best
> policy
> is to apply them to a test server and that will let you get your
> procedure
> down. You'll still find that your production server may vary
> significantly
> in the amount of time it takes.

Unfortunately we have no test servers, we provide DBA services for several customers, and I have been asked to provide an estimate on upgrading several servers on a customer site. Most of these are production databases. They do have test databases, the estimate still applies to these.

I am expressing my reservations about NT4 and the 8i databases. Even though this is the UK, I'm worried about the impact of the DST changes, this is a multinational customer.

This proposal is complicated inasmuch as these servers are running several applications, including Siebel, and I can find nothing on Siebel and supported versions.

I need more info, and am unable to approach the customer at what is a proposal stage.

> 8i to 10g. Hard to make a blanket statement. This could be a good time
> change the layout of your database to benefit most from 10g. For
> example,
> are you using LMT everywhere? On the other hand, how much data, how
> long a
> downtime window can you get? Imp/exp may not complete in the available
> downtime window.

I am attempting to get this message across, however, I still have to provide estimates. What I can do is qualify them with a big bunch of ifs.

> Here is a link to a document that may offer some ideas:
> http://www.tcoug.org/, scroll down to Best Practices for Upgrading to
> Oracle
> database 10g, and open the link to the presentation.
>
> Dennis Williams

Thanks Dennis, I'm having a look now.

Regards.

--