RE: bbed?

From: John D Parker <orclwzrd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:23:22 -0800 (PST)

In my case, we had to use the rman api calls to rescue the individual files from RMAN and then we discovered that "including controfile" does not equate to "usable backup". Half of the files were backed up after the controlfile and thus not logged in the controlfile of this nocatalog backup. After twiddling the file headers with bbed and exporting/importing the entire database we were back in business. Elapsed time 3 weeks. Client blissfully happy we recovered at all.

John

"Richard J. Goulet" <rgoulet_at_kanbay.com> wrote: John,

     MANY years ago, on Microsoft OS/2 Oracle V6.0.33 I had a truly fouled up database that the network administrator kept "forgetting" to backup. Well one night it died a miserable death & had to be put back together somehow. We did not have a current backup & someone had deleted without backing up the archive redo logs (same person who "forgot" to backup the database, but claimed he always did). Anyway, I opened a SEV1 tar with Oracle, over the phone in those days. A few hours later I get a third call back from Oracle. The individual there wants to know if I can get to the file in question. Well of course I can. So he asks if I can put it into debug!! We then spent half an hour "repairing" the file by bypassing the corrupt block (actual disk failure going on underneath). When we fired the DB back up I was surprised that it worked, just long enough to take a full export before it once again died miserably.

     Power in the right hands is a good thing, power in the wrong hands is a death sentence waiting to be fulfilled. Lets hope that doesn't happen with bbed.

Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA
 45 Bartlett St Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA Tel.: 598.573.1978 |Fax: 508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795  RGoulet_at_kanbay.com

: POWERING TRANSFORMATION

 From: John D Parker [mailto:orclwzrd_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 12:19 PM To: Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com; Richard J. Goulet; wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu; oracle-l Subject: RE: bbed?

It may be a dangerous tool, but it can save your bacon when the fire is hot. I've used it to enable me to recover completely unrecoverable databases. Tread lightly, as with most very powerful tool, you can do lots of damage fast if you make a mistake.

John

"Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com> wrote: Which is why it's password protected. But, let's not open that can of worms again....

To anyone who wants to know the password: If you really want to use it, you should be clever enough to find the password. Don't ask people to tell you what it is. ;-)

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which shouldn't be done at all. -Peter F. Drucker, 1909-2005

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of William Wagman Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:40 PM To: oracle-l
Subject: bbed?

Someone just passed this on to me. I checked a coupl of my systems and didn't find it. It's an editor for modifying dbfs. The page:

refers to ways of misusing the tool. The PDF paper has a few pages of instructions, then some interesting examples of the tool's uses starting on page 25.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu