RE: ALERT - Potentially Serious Problem with DST Patches for New Timezones

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:20:58 -0700

I haven't stepped out on the edge at all - in fact, I believe I'm pretty far behind considering I haven't installed any of the patches yet and the DST change is only 1 month away. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post, but I did open an SR already - and Oracle has confirmed what I suspected was a bug. The Oracle Support reps I've been working with on this have been very responsive and acknowledged that it is a serious problem. From their comments, it sounds like they are scrambling a bit to figure out how to handle it and get a note/alert/patch posted.

Please note that I changed the subject on this email a bit because I don't want people to ignore it due to the specific mention of the PST8PDT timezone since this problem affects all the new v3 timezones as listed at the bottom of my original post.

If you want to know whether or not this issue affects you, just add the new timezones to your timezdif.csv file and rerun the utltzuv2.sql script, or you can try the following quick query to see if any of the new timezones are being used in your scheduler tables (or modify the query to check for other application/user tables if you have any with TZ columns):

select distinct to_char(START_DATE,'TZR') from SCHEDULER$_JOB_RUN_DETAILS;   With the original v3 and v4 utltzuv2.sql scripts, I didn't get any affected rows, but with the corrected timezdif.csv file, I now get the following results:

SQL> select * from sys.sys_tzuv2_temptab;

TABLE_OWNER                    TABLE_NAME
COLUMN_NAME                      ROWCOUNT NES

SYS SCHEDULER$_JOB LAST_ENABLED_TIME 12 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_JOB LAST_END_DATE 10 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_JOB LAST_START_DATE 10 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_JOB NEXT_RUN_DATE 10 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_JOB START_DATE 10 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_JOB_RUN_DETAILS REQ_START_DATE 31 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_JOB_RUN_DETAILS START_DATE 31 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_WINDOW ACTUAL_START_DATE 2 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_WINDOW LAST_START_DATE 2 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_WINDOW NEXT_START_DATE 2 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_WINDOW_DETAILS REQ_START_DATE 27 NO SYS SCHEDULER$_WINDOW_DETAILS START_DATE
27 NO

From: Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com [mailto:Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com]

Allen stepped out on the bleeding edge is what happened. He should have logged an SR like me last week

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Feb 01 2007 - 11:20:58 CST