Re: a explain plan question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:35:58 -0000

To answer the original question about how to identify the first operation that could be considered for execution, Dan Fink's answer is an excellent explanation - but for an easier mechanism, I've just posted something about it on my blog at

    http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

In fact, Dan's answer needs a little corollary - as a plan can contain conditional execution paths:

    http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2007/01/09/conditional-sql/

so his comment needs a further messy expression wrapped around it discussing the possibility of when an entire subplan may or may not be executed at run-time.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com

Author: Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals