RE: SQL Comparison Site

From: Polarski, Bernard <Bernard.Polarski_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:19:11 +0100

I am still puzzle by the arguments of Oracle to refuse the implementation of the 'LIMIT' clause. It is natural clause of daily usage.

Select * from table group by 1 order by 1,2 limit 5. # to display only 5 rows

So simple. Instead with Oracle you must use inline view or some kind of those unnatural analytical clauses.

SQL was created as natural language. I may say in my daily discussion something like:

'I selected some from a list of provider, limited to the five best'

I am not saying

'I selected, rank() over the best 5, from a list of provider'

How do you pronounce the '()' in natural language?

Bernard Polarski

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: donderdag 1 februari 2007 2:29
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: SQL Comparison Site

I "stumbled" across an interesting site today.

It endeavors to compare various implementations of SQL.

It appears to be a work in progress, so maybe some here may offer contributions.

In any case, it appears quite useful.

http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/

--
Jared Still