re: forcing multiple indexes (9.2.0.6)

From: cosmin ioan <cosmini_at_bridge-tech.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:33:41 -0800 (PST)

hello all,
I was looking in the manuals to find any hint or trace (no pun intended) of examples of how to force multiple (single column) indexes of different tables, **perhaps as bitmap join** as an added bonus ;-).

May not be desirable or optimal, but at least, to try them out as an exercise:

TabA, Col1, Col2 ind1, ind2
TabB, Col1, Col2 indb1, indb2

select /*+ index(A ind1 ind2) index(B indb1 indb2)*/ * from tabA,tabB where a.col1=b.col1
and a.col2='x'
and b.col2='y'

or the index_combine(A ind1 ind2) index_combine(B indb1 indb2) .... + bitmap join them --how !?....

I think I'm trying to outsmart the CBO and it does not like something... ;-)

reason is I'm working on a large Ora APPS implementation and apparently, adding multiple proper indexes is the last resort.... which I agree with them, somewhat...; and there is the clustering factor for indexes that we could tweak, but I'm looking at the hint forcing above, at least as an exercise.

thx,
Cos

thx much,
Cos