RE: Clusterware on RH 4.0 update 3 fails miserably

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:59:48 -0800

Mladen,

In addition to the cluvfy utility look at the RDA/HCVE utility and run the pre-install checks there. Look at Metalink note 314422.1 for details. It has been my experience that installing Oracle on Linux and particularly RAC is very very finicky. Try installing the packages that the cluvfy says aren't there and retry the installation. There are also notes indicating that permissions on the devices where you put the crs and the voting disk must be set a speciic way, I don't have that at my fingertips, I can find it if you like. What I have found is that if the cluvfy or the RDA/HCVE indicate something is not configured correctly the CRS will not install, you must fix those first. There is also a methodology for removing a failed CRS installation which you should follow if you are going to try again, see metalink note 239998.1.

As to finding someone at Oracle who can help with RAC installations I wish you the best. I don't think such a person exists. I did find the book Oracle atabase 10g RAC on linux from apress to have much useful information.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu