RE: Oracle and DST changes

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:25:59 -0500

Barb,

That sounds correct to me. I will be doing similar steps for my 9.2 databases that do not have patches available.

Look also at whether you should patch JVM. I am patching JVM even though I have zero risk of loss of data. Taking the conservative approach to things.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Barbara Baker Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:25 AM To: strickland.mark_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Oracle and DST changes

Oracle 10.1.0.3 Solaris 9

Mark and Tom:

I have several 10.1.0.3 databases with no possibility of upgrading.

I wonder if I might prevail on you to review these steps and let me know if this is what you did to upgrade your timezones for a 10.1.0.3 database

  1. Downloaded patch 5126270, manually placed the timezdif.csv in $ORACLE_HOME/oracore/zoneinfo and ran utltzuv2.sql
  2. After step 1, I do not appear to have affected data, nor do I have Java issues
  3. I downloaded patch 4689959 for 10.1.0.4
  4. I plan to manually move the timezlrg.dat and timezone.dat files to $ORACLEl_HOME/oracore/zoneinfo

Does this sound correct?

I've downloaded about a bazillion metalink articles, and I'm still struggling.

Thanks for any help!

Barb

On 1/30/07, Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com> wrote:

I just realized that on one of my dev/test servers, Oracle was never upgraded from 10.1.0.3 to 10.1.0.5 (egg on face). There is no DST patch for 10.1.0.3 but I compared the old versions of the timezone files between the two patchsets and they are identical so I copied the new timezone files from 10.1.0.5 to 10.1.0.3 and called it good. The test query does return the correct time. I don't like doing spur-of-the-moment upgrades and this particular server and database are expected to be sunsetted sometime this century, so I decided not to quickly upgrade it. I may decide to do that later.

So, if you have 10.1.0.3 and can't upgrade to a higher 10gR1 patchset, there appears to be a workaround. If I encounter side-effects, I'll be sure to update the list.

Regards,
Mark Strickland